When it comes to athletic performance, rigorous training schedules and fitness play an important role. But if you are not properly fueling your body, your hard work could go to waste. Eating the right foods at the right time can maximize your results. Here are some of the best foods to eat, whether you are training for a sport or competition, working toward reaching a personal fitness goal, or simply want to improve your health.
- Excellent fuel source
- Good source of folate, thiamin, and iron
- 16% of daily value of protein in one serving
Aside from being popular among health nuts and foodies alike, quinoa is packed with great vitamins, nutrients, and protein, which helps to sustain your energy.
- Great source of vitamin A, C, and K
- Good source of calcium and manganese
- Excellent for workout recovery
Also a popular superfood, kale offers versatility along with a wide range of healthful and physical benefits. Its high content of vitamin C, calcium, and vitamin K are ideal for recovery and proper nutrition.
- Very effective at increasing oxygen capacity for exercise
- Improves blood flow and circulation
- Contains anti-inflammatory factors
You may not have heard of beetroot or beetroot juice before, but they provide great benefits, especially for those who engage in cardiovascular exercise. Aside from increasing oxygen capacity, beetroot juice contains lots of vitamins and antioxidants.
- Incredible source of omega-3 fatty acids
- One serving contains 42% of dally value of fiber
- Rich source of protein and calcium
Excellent health benefits come in these small packages. Chia seeds help to sustain energy through the day and aid in calming inflammation. And thanks to their versatility, you can enjoy them throughout the day – use them on anything from cereal to salad.
- One serving contains 87% of daily value of protein
- Great source of niacin and vitamins E and B12
- Helps bring down inflammation
Salmon is often considered a brain food due to its high omega-3 content, which promotes brain function. It is also a great lean protein, and especially great as a post-recovery meal since it brings down inflammation and helps with muscle recovery and tissue regrowth.
Tart Cherry Juice
- Strong anti-arthritic properties
- Contains lots of antioxidants
- Helps with sleep issues and physical recovery
This juice has very strong anti-arthritic properties, which will help with soreness, inflammation, and sleep.
- Contains at least 20% of daily value of six different vitamins and minerals
- Loaded with over 2500mg of omega-6 healthy fats per serving
- Contains 40% of daily value of fiber per serving
It’s high in vitamin E as well as healthy fat (a precursor for testosterone), which helps with muscle rebuilding and growth, as well as building strength.
- Highest antioxidant content of any fruit
- One serving contains 14% of daily value of dietary fiber
- High vitamin C content helps post-workout recovery
As the fruit with the highest antioxidant content, blueberries are a must-have for your diet. They are also a smart carbohydrate source, providing fuel for your workout without spiking insulin levels.
Start your day with a hearty breakfast at the Brick, or visit us for a yummy lunch. We are open weekdays from 7:00am-4:00pm and Saturdays from 8:00am-4:30pm, located on the corner of Arrow Highway and Garey Avenue in Pomona (next to Johnny’s).