Did you know May is National Barbecue Month? Here are some fun facts about barbecuing courtesy of the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA). A 20-minute online study on barbecue lifestyle, usage and attitude surveyed 1,145 participants (at least 18 years old) in the U.S. who considered themselves the primary griller or shared grilling responsibilities. Here’s what they found:
- If you own a grill or smoker, you are among 75% of U.S. adults.
- In descending popularity, most households own a gas grill (62%), then a charcoal grill (53%), then an electric grill (12%). Only 2% own a wood pellet grill and about 8% are thinking of buying a grill this year.
- Can you guess which holiday is the most popular for barbecuing? Independence Day takes the lead with 76%, while Labor Day and Memorial Day are tied for second place with 62% respectively. Lastly, there’s Father’s Day with 49% and Mother’s Day with 34%.
- Why do you barbecue? Most people say it’s to improve the flavor of the food (71%), while others do it for personal enjoyment (54%) and for entertaining guests (42%).
- Basic grilling tools, like a cleaning brush, tongs, and gloves/mitts, are possessed by half of grill owners. Popular and new accessories include pizza stones, broiling baskets, and cooking planks.
- Did you know only 10% of grill owners have a backyard kitchen, equipped with premium furniture and lighting?
- Have you ever prepared your breakfast on the grill? About 11% of grill owners have.
- Grilling isn’t limited to the home – 31% of grill owners have grilled someplace other than their homes this year, with 24% of them having grilled while camping.
- About 45% of non-grill owners have plans to purchase a new grill or smoker this year, while about 30% of grill owners plan to grill more often.
Do any of these findings surprise you? Where do fall in these categories? Share your barbecue experiences and tips with us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and LinkedIn. You can also connect with us on Instagram, Vine, and Pinterest.
Stop by this Memorial Day weekend and try our BBQ Pork sandwich or our new Pistachio Pudding. We will close at 4:00pm on Monday, May 30, for Memorial Day so be sure to stop by before then!