When we don’t get enough rest for whatever reason, we often feel tired and groggy in the morning. More often than not, we turn to a cup of coffee or our favorite source of caffeine to pick us up. But what is a safe amount of caffeine to consume in a day?
It’s often said that around 400mg of caffeine per day is safe for healthy adults. To put that into perspective, that is about 6-7 cups of black tea, 4-5 cups of home-brewed coffee, 2-3 Starbucks Grande Lattes, 8 cans of Diet Coke, or 5 cans of Red Bull.
A typical serving of caffeine is likened to an 8 fl oz cup of home-brewed coffee, 20 fl oz of Diet Coke, a 1.5 fl oz espresso shot, or 8.4 fl oz of an energy drink. All of these fall into the 70-90mg range of caffeine content. However, regardless of its form, whether natural (ex. coffee or tea) or synthetic (ex. Cola or energy drink), caffeine will produce the same effects.
March is National Caffeine Awareness Month. Here are a few more fun facts about the popular pick-me-up.
- The earliest rumored consumption of caffeine happened in 3000 BC. A Chinese emperor accidentally discovered that a fragrant and restorative drink was produced when certain leaves fell into boiling water. We usually call this drink tea.
- Caffeine can be found in the seeds and leaves of more than 60 plants around the world. Some of those plants include coffee beans, tea leaves, cocoa beans, kola nuts, guarana plants, and yerba mate.
- Keep your pets away from chocolate and coffee! Birds, dogs, and cats cannot metabolize caffeine, so the consequences may be dire.
- For coffee, the darker the coffee roast, the less caffeine in the coffee bean. For example, unroasted, green coffee beans have a higher concentration of caffeine. However, with teas, the darker the tea, the higher the caffeine.
- Some studies show that caffeine has positive effects against some diseases including Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. However, too much caffeine can cause nervousness, anxiety, nausea, sleeplessness, and jitteriness.
- 85% of the US population consumes caffeine daily – 64% from coffee, 17% from tea, 17% from sodas, and 2% from energy drinks.
- Caffeine takes 15-45 minutes to take effect. The average person will eliminate half of the original amount consumed between 4-6 hours.
Find a great variety of teas and fresh brewed coffee at the Brick Market & Deli and pair it with your favorite sandwich or salad. We’re open Monday-Friday 10:30am-7:30pm and Saturdays 10:30am-4:30pm, with online ordering available.