Cheese lovers, did you know? National Cheese Lover’s Day is on January 20. What’s not to love about cheese? With so many different types, there’s a cheese for every palate.
- Cheese takes up about 1/10 the volume of the milk it was made from.
- Cheeses are more flavorful at room temperature.
- Let cold cheese warm up for about half an hour before eating to allow the flavor and aroma to develop.
- Some studies claim that cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, and American cheeses can help prevent tooth decay.
- Do not store cheese with other strong-smelling foods. As a cheese breathes it will absorb other aromas and may spoil.
- The average American consumes about 31 pounds of cheese each year versus the average French person consuming 50 pounds each year.
- There are more than 900 known cheeses in the world, and they can all be classified by texture. Here are the primary classifications and some examples: fresh cheese (ricotta); soft cheese (feta); semi-soft cheese (Fontina); semi-hard cheese (Gouda); hard cheese (Cheddar); double or triple crème cheese (Brillat-Savarin); blue cheese (Gorgonzola); washed rind cheese (Limburger); and bloomy rind cheese (Brie).
So how will you celebrate National Cheese Lover’s Day? You can head over to the Brick Market and Deli to indulge in our deliciously gooey three cheese grilled cheese sandwich. Or you can visit our Pinterest page and find a plethora of delicious recipes, many of which feature different cheeses. However you decide to celebrate, we’d like to see. Post pictures on Instagram (don’t forget to tag us @BrickMarketDeli) or leave comments on our Facebook or Google+ pages.